“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Thursday 19 July 2012

All it took was a song

Some years ago I discovered the musical wonder that is Belle and Sebastian. And one song in particular - "Asleep on a sunbeam" - stayed with me. I would listen to it on the bus on my way to university and, some years later, on my way to work. Most days, this journey would be tedious, grey and rainy. London, in all its glory, would be reduced to a commute - soulless, uninspiring and monotonous. This song, though, would make me smile - every time, believe it or not - and I would spend much of the journey dreaming about going on an adventure with my love.

And tonight, here we are, packing and preparing for our adventure. Having given up our jobs, our home and life as we know it, we are embarking on a journey that will take us right across Europe and away from the mundane. Our plan is to visit Austria, Croatia, Greece, Italy, Switzerland, France and Spain. The initial idea was to explore Scandinavia, but we decided to follow the sun... and it's taking us south.

Follow us here, at Chasing the sun, to explore Europe with us. We hope to share with you our discoveries - food, landscapes, cities, inspiration - and much more.

Also, if you're interested in this life-changing song I was telling you about, click here to listen to it on YouTube. And if you're really lazy, here are the lyrics (disclaimer: you cannot hold me responsible if, after hearing this song, you give up your job, buy a campervan and embark on the greatest adventure of your life)...

When the half light makes for a clearer view
Sleep a little more if you want to
But restlessness has seized me now, it's true
I could watch the dreams flicker in your eyes
Lying here asleep on a sunbeam
I wonder if you realise you fascinate me so

Think about a new destination
If you think you need inspiration
Roll out the map and mark it with a pin
I will follow every direction
Just lace up your shoes while I'm fetching a sleeping bag, a tent...

Another summer's passing by
All I need is somewhere I feel the grass beneath my feet
A walk on sand, a fire I can warm my hands
My joy will be complete

I thought about a new destination
I'm never short of new inspiration
Roll out the map and mark it with a gin
Made my plans to conquer the country
I'm waiting for you to get out of your situation
With your job and with your life

All I need is somewhere I feel the grass beneath my feet
A walk on sand
A fire, I can warm my hands
My joy will be complete

2 comments:

  1. I love your idea and the song.
    And yes, i wanna quit my job and follow you,
    lol..
    Have a great journey.

    Greetings from Germany,
    Verena

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...so romantic!! I LOVE this song. And the lyrics?!? perfection!

    "When the half light makes for a clearer view
    Sleep a little more if you want to
    But restlessness has seized me now, it's true
    I could watch the dreams flicker in your eyes
    Lying here asleep on a sunbeam
    I wonder if you realise you fascinate me so"

    I love it!! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete